Tuesday, October 4, 2011

10.04.11

Dearëst Zoë,

We celebrated your third birthday this weekend.  It seemed more significant than the last birthdays.  At first, you were still a baby, and then a very young child and now you're growing into quite a big girl.  At night, you still sleep at my side, cuddled in my arms with your forehead resting against my chin.  I kiss the top of your head often.  That hasn't changed from the time you were a tiny baby, but your toes reach further and further down everytime I become aware of them.  At first, you were no longer than the length of my arm and then your toes touched my chest, then my stomach and now they are at the tops of my knees.  As we sleep, you wiggle your toes against my skin and shift them around to find warm spots and I realize how tall  you are getting.  The other night, while you slept, I played with your hair and twirled the soft curls through my fingers.  I stretched your longest little ringlet to your mid-back just to measure it.  Your hair is getting so long as well, but still very curly and difficult to style. 



More than your physical growth though, I notice your language development and your testing of new skills you seem to acquire on a daily basis.  You're only 3, which is still very small, but yet you seem so grown already to me and I'm proud yet a little sad to say good bye to every day because I know you will soon be in your own bed and you won't need the same kind of closeness you did as a helpless infant.  I will miss it, probably more than you even, but I am determined that I won't hold you back in any way, even for my own comfort.  I just want you to be well and happy.   That is the greatest comfort of all. 

Much love,

Mama

1 comment:

  1. Hello to you and little Zoe! I remember well those wonderful days when my little boys would cuddle next to me in bed, it passes by so quickly and then it seems they are grown and gone. Enjoy every minute with your precious girl. I am so happy that you loved the books, may you spend countless hours with Zoe, on you lap, exploring the world of Hopalong Hollow!

    ReplyDelete