Wednesday, October 12, 2011

10.12.11

Dearëst Zoë,

I was thinking today about the things I wish for you in your far distant future; the lessons I hope you've managed to learn by the time you are my age now.  I think one of the most important and one I struggle with still is to learn that you cannot control what others say or think about you, but you can determine if you will buy into those opinions or not.  I'm looking at a picture of you from your recent birthday party as I type this and I pray that you always remain the bright, happy, trusting and confidant person I see there.  People will sometimes be unkind.  There's not always an explanation for it, but trust that most of how people treat you has much to do with their own struggles and nothing to do with your worth as a person.  Have faith in yourself at all times and don't judge your value by the opinions of others.  When people hurt you, the natural reaction is to throw up your defenses and to attack back, but its one of those battles that you really can't win.  Even if you do get even with someone, you won't respect the kind of person it makes you.  That's not to say that all fights should be avoided.  When you know something is right, stick up for it and stay with it, no matter the consequences for no other reason than because it is the right thing to do.  It might not make for an easy life, but it will be one you can be proud of living.  I wish you were here for a hug and a kiss, but I will see you soon so, till then...

You are my poetry, sweetness,

Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment