Monday, January 28, 2013

01.28.13

Dearëst Zoë,

Just lately you've started answering all questions with "because that's why".  I suppose it's your pint-sized version of the parent stand-by "because I said so".  I really try not to use that phrase with you, partly because I remember how much I hated it as a child and partly because I think it's important to take the time to explain things on your level, to treat you like a mini-human.

Speaking of which, you've become increasingly interested in helping me in the kitchen.  You determinedly drag a chair into the kitchen from the dining room table, turn it to face the counters and clamber up.  We are working on understanding that the stove top and the pots on it are very hot.  I'm not sure you'll completely learn that lesson till you accidentally burn yourself which is scary to think about, but since I am vigilant, if it does happen, I think it will be only minor.

Last night we made french toast.  You snatched the first egg out of the carton and crushed it in your hand before I could even spit out "noooooo"!  lol.  You made such a mess, but I couldn't help bursting out laughing because of the surprised and guilty expression on your face.  You're such a sweet child, always so eager to help, to be in on things.  I picked the egg shell out and we began again with a new egg.  By the time we were done you were cracking and dumping eggs all on your own, and quite adeptly too.  Everything I added you insisted on helping with so we nearly ended up with a gallon of milk and an entire bottle of vanilla in there as well.  When it came time to stir, you did it with a wide grin on your face and you did an excellent job of it.
I let you dunk the bread and help me with flipping it over in the pan, but mid-way through, you gave up the hard work to leaf through a gossip magazine instead.  We're going to have to talk about your work ethic, young lady!  lol

Dinner was delicious and tasted even sweeter because of all your help and the time we spent together in the kitchen.

I love you, sugar bear.

All my love,

Mama 

No comments:

Post a Comment